Monday, March 05, 2007

The King and Pawn Endgame, Part II


In the post a couple of days ago (access it here), I presented a king and pawn endgame. It was determined that white must draw the ending - white cannot win. In that diagram, I played 1. h5 and instead of taking on h5 (i.e., 1... gxh5) and then eating the rook pawn (and ultimately drawing), my opponent pushed the pawn, leaving the position diagrammed here. The only reason, the my opponent must have pushed the pawn was that s/he knew I had about 12 seconds on the clock, and would probably lose on time.

Given this new position, with White to move, now what is the outcome?

1 comment:

likesforests said...

White wins easily. 1.Kc4 Ke6 2.Kd4 Kf6 3.Kd5 +/-. The Black king must stay within the square of the passed h5-pawn. d5 is outside that, but happens to be one of the g5 pawn's key squares. The position is totally indefensible, no matter who moves.